Has anyone sucesfully connected their TK-102 to orange.gps-trace.com?
I have a TK-102 from eBay www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381680657504.
Looking in forums it says to treat as a TK-103 so I set port 20157 (for Tk-102) & that didn't show, when I swapped to 20222 (TK-103) on http://id.wialon.net & it shows my id of 087072814571.
I changed to adminipXXXXXX 184.108.40.206 20222 & entered this in to gps-trace.com with type Xexun TK-103, sim in tracker mobile number +44XXXXXXXXXX & password for device but will not show.
All APN is configured & device check shows: GSM: 099% GPS: OK GPRS: ON BATTERY: 094%.
I have tried several other ports suggested in the forums but nothing is working. The GPS tracker sends SMS ok.
password123456 XXXXXX (changed password)
adminXXXXXX +4477XXXXXXXX (set authorised number to my mobile)
gprsXXXXXX (enabled GPRS)
APNXXXXXX giffgaff.com giffgaff password (set APN with info from their website)
t030s***nXXXXXX (Activated tracking)
adminipXXXXXX 220.127.116.11 2022 (shows id on id.wialon.net)
checkXXXXXX (returned GSM: 099% GPS: OK GPRS: ON BATTERY: 094%)
adminipXXXXXX 18.104.22.168 2022 (change to point to gps-trace.com)
All commands return ok! - no errors. Device remains offline on both versions of gps-trace.com & app.