roaming abroad no trace

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jeffd2651_*

Guest_jeffd2651_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

Everything was working gr8 whilst we were in the UK.

After last year's loss of track whilst abroad, we bought a data pass for our Virigin Mobile sim card which is in the tracker unit several days before we left the UK shores and were assured that it was working OK.

However, checking the VM web site reveals that the data pass is enabled (and paid for) but the track on the car stops at Portsmouth on the 5th April at the time we boarded the car ferry.

Since then there is no track of the car here in Spain.

Should the track work if the sim is roaming or do I need to reset something in the tracker (tk106 using Blueberry GT06N setting) ???? .... or are VirginMobile telling fibs and the SIM is NOT roaming ????

Thanks

#2 pach

pach

Orange Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 12 April 2016 - 13:51 PM

POPULAR

Ask for a printout on you mobile data usage and check if your device still uses internet or it had stopped exactly on 5th april.

One more thing - most devices use GPRS (2g) connection and do not work in 3g\LTE and so on networks.

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 131 others like this

I do not answer emails and personal messages|Я не отвечаю на личные сообщения и почту.

#3 Guest_jeffd2651_*

Guest_jeffd2651_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

Data is working as far as I can see and VM assure me that the SIM is roaming OK ... put it into a spare notepad I have and it works OK

The preferred network here is Orange (VM partner) and all other sims work fine so I do not understand why this sim should not be working with the GPRS as the location function whilst in the notepad works

#4 Guest_jeffd2651_*

Guest_jeffd2651_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

Just sent the unit the SMS command for a single location report from my mobile phone and the tracker has responded as it should according to the instructions with the google map reference, speed, time, date and IMIE number .... so why isn't the web tracking site showing the track ????

#5 pach

pach

Orange Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

POPULAR

It does not send any messages therefore no track.

The issue is most likely on the device side.

SMS polling and GPRS are completely different ways to deliver data and they can not be compared.

If you sim works with a laptop it does not mean that it should work with the device.

A modem inside of the device might not support modern telecommunications technologies like 3g, 3.5g, 4g, 5g ...

If you are still sure everything is fine with the sim than something is with the device configuration.

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 84 others like this

I do not answer emails and personal messages|Я не отвечаю на личные сообщения и почту.

#6 Guest_jeffd2651_*

Guest_jeffd2651_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

still don't understand why it works in the UK and not in Spain ! :(

#7 pach

pach

Orange Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

POPULAR

Once again it is my suggestion that the sim is the reason.

But if you are sure that data is consumed while sim card is inside of the GPS device so something is wrong with configuration (port, IP).

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 65 others like this

#8 MercedesGPS

MercedesGPS

Orange Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

POPULAR

still don't understand why it works in the UK and not in Spain ! :(

As Pach said, it's not on 2G network whilst roaming. Ask VM for a list of approved roaming partners, that will support 2G, and pick one (if any).

If I'm not mistaken, Orange never had 2G in the UK, so unlikely to use it when they expanded overseas. Your best bet would be either O2 or Vodafone subsidiaries (or small providers, who piggy-back on their networks).

• pach, wapedSof, gapedSof and 53 others like this

#9 Guest_odintheterrible_*

Guest_odintheterrible_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

It's not really that easy trying to sort this out from Spain as calling VM usually ends up with me talking to someone on the Asian sub-continent who really don't have too much  grasps of the issues.

I sent a "TCP" command to the tracker and it returned:

193.193.165.166:20765:general.t-mobile.uk:A (the 'A' means 'GPS located')

Now, Virgin mobile used to be piggy backed on T- Mobile ... when I originally setup the tracker a couple of years back but they are now quoting on their web site that their APN is: goto.virginmobile.uk

The tracker was still working in the UK even with the T-Mobile APN so if I change the APN to the new VM one (see above) I assume I'll have to reset the tracker with a new APN command ? Will I therefore need to reset the settings on the website given that the ID (IMIE) will be the same ???

Or do I need to find a roaming partner here in Spain ?

Thanks

#10 pach

pach

Orange Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

POPULAR

Answering your question on ID - no need to change anything in unit settings.

Device ID is a unique number taken directly from the firmware.

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 50 others like this

#11 Guest_odintheterrible_*

Guest_odintheterrible_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 14:05 PM

OK, well the only other direct questions are:

1) as the unit is a cheap TK06A clone .... is it still correct to select 'Blueberry GT06N' from the device drop down list

and

2) is the port still 20765 ??

The only other thing I can think of now, after resetting the APN is that it requires the APN of VM's roaming partner ? Yes or No ??

#12 pach

pach

Orange Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 15 April 2016 - 14:15 PM

1. if it worked in UK with Blueberry GT06N it will work with the same type in any other country

2. yes, 20765 (see 1 point)

3rd question - can not give you a straight answer :( .

But the sim card should work in a roaming.

Many companies use roaming and they do not need to reconfigure APN every time their car or truck leaves native country.

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 46 others like this

#13 Guest_odintheterrible_*

Guest_odintheterrible_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 14:38 PM

Well in that case, it's a total mystery as to why it won't register on the site as all of the settings appear to be correct !?!?!?!?!

#14 Guest_gps60_*

Guest_gps60_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2016 - 14:30 PM

I am having similar issue with you. since I relocated to Africa, the new device I configured to use on this web platform refused to track the settings are okay.i have also changed to different sim cards to no avail...its just a total mystery..

#15 pach

pach

Orange Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

gps60, definitely a configuration or a mobile network issue.

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 42 others like this

#16 tiagoazevedo

tiagoazevedo

Orange Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 18:38 PM

Hi.

Same problem here.

We have Orange Portugalia SIM card, and when device travel to Spain.
If it is registered in Orange, the APN is the same ="internet"....

If orange lost connection, it connect to Movistar or Vodafone ES (partner when signal fail)..APN is different (movistar.es) or (airtelwap.es), so lost connection..

Last 2 weeks we have problems with orange Spain.

Edit: I will try since today APN "orangeworld"..next 2 weeks it goes to Spain.

• wapedSof, gapedSof, bapedSof and 41 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roaming, abroad, no trace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users